Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Fiction Packet 2 Response

The stories in this packet were a little harder to read than the last one. I don't think it's because they're longer, I just didn't get pulled into any of the material like in the last packet. I could barely follow along to any of the stories as the details in most of them weren't very vibrant. I found my mind wandering off in the middle of most of them, and couldn't concentrate on any of the characters. I guess they just weren't as interesting to me as the characters in the previous fiction packet.

The story that I did get through was the very first one, Internal. The thing that kept the story alive was the repetition. There is a lot of repetition that seems almost lyrical. The funny thing about this repetition is that it's usually the character repeating a characteristic of somebody, like himself: "hardly the typical intern."  This repetition is a theme, in my opinion. It reminds me of the effort one must make in order to even become an intern, and I think it this was intentional, it was brilliantly done by the author. The narrator does his crazy assisting by using the same methods he used in medical school. It's somewhat ironic as his current methods are very shady.

The aspects of psychology are also interesting to me as I am minoring in psychology. It reminds me of the early days where people were experimented on and concepts of psychological knowledge were somewhat crazy. His observations read almost as a textbook, and then as a journal. It is certainly not the typical short story, but more of a psychological analysis. I also question the narrator's frame of mind in this story; is he so driven that he will do anything for his mentor? Or is he simply "crazy?"

No comments:

Post a Comment